This free-to-enter competition aims to encourage writers of all ages and is being staged to mark Remembrance Day 2020.
We’re asking for writing on any of the themes in the story of ‘Songster – Loughborough’s Own War Horse.’ These include friendship, bravery, determination and luck, and the theme of remembrance could also be used. Writers may use one or as many themes as they wish.
Written entries should be no more than 500 words and can be
- short stories
- personal reflections, journalism or recounts
- letters (real or fictional)
Applications are invited from writers in the following categories:
- Junior category: under 14 years of age
- Young adult category: 14-18 years of age
- Adult category: 18 years and over
Applicants’ ages are as at 13th November 2020.
Winners in each category will receive a small package of prizes, including a copy of ‘Songster – Loughborough’s Own War Horse’ and to be confirmed.
The writing competition will be judged by Alison Mott, writing coach and author of ‘Songster – Loughborough’s Own War Horse.’ www.alisonmott.com
Rules of entry:
All entries should be:
- written in English
- the entrant’s own original writing
- 500 words in length or less.
They shouldn’t have been previously published or broadcast in any form, including online.
Entries which don’t comply with these conditions will be disqualified.
Only one entry per writer.
Amendments cannot be made to entries once they have been submitted.
Closing date for entry is midnight on Friday 13th November 2020.
Entries should be submitted by email as a Word document to: email@example.com
or by post to
Remembrance Writing Competition
c/o Charnwood Museum
Leics LE11 3DU
The email should include the following information:
- The name of the writer
- The title of the piece
- The category it’s being entered for – Junior, Young Adult or Adult (please indicate the writer’s age if under 18.)
- A contact name, email and telephone number of the writer (or an adult with parental responsibility if the writer is under 18). If the entry is through a school, please also give the school’s details.
Happy writing and good luck!